We have arrived in Nairobi, Kenya! Due to the swine flu pandemic, everyone entering the country was required to complete a swine flu questionnaire, asking if you've had any flu symptoms for the last two weeks – fever, cough, sore throat, labored breathing, etc. Unfortunately, I developed a mild cold three days before our departure. Nothing major, just a runny nose that lead to a sore throat. I suppose you should know that I have a very guilty conscience, and as I was filling out the questionnaire, words from Jim Jackson's recent sermon were replaying in my mind: "If you don't have integrity, you have nothing." Do I answer "no" and move on through customs, or answer "yes" and hope I don't end up in quarantine in Nairobi? I received a diagnosis and treatment from my doctor the day before the trip. I was sure I didn't have the flu, much less swine flu. If you don't have integrity, you have nothing. I checked the "yes" box next to the sore throat.
The lady checking the questionnaires asked me about my response. Did I have a note from my doctor with my diagnosis and listing my medication? Unfortunately, no. She informed me that I would have to be examined by the physician before proceeding. After about 20 minutes, I was escorted to the physician. She asked me more questions and, I'm sure, stalled for a sufficient amount of time to satisfy herself that I was not currently ill. She informed me that it is customary to pay for her services. So, 1000 shillings later (about $13), and another unusual pause to make sure I wouldn't cough in her presence, we were on our way.
I wish I had thought to bring documentation from my doctor about my cold. But, things turned out ok. In the end, the delay was long enough for the rest of my team to collect our bags and load them in the vans, so no harm. Hopefully, the rest of the trip will be smooth. We had a good night's sleep, hot shower, omelettes and fresh watermelon and pineapple for breakfast. Now we're off to church…as planned!
Was so excited to hear from Early via the church that you arrived safely. Prayed for you at church Sunday as you worshiped with His people in Kenya. What a joy! Sending lots of prayers as you begin work at Maua Methodist Hospital and the AIDS orphans' home. Susan
ReplyDelete